Vauxhall Cavalier

The Cavaliers

   Dream Journal

I WALKED INTO AN OFFICE ON LONDON ROAD, RETFORD. Two old friends (now ex Jehovah’s Witnesses) were there. They were accountants. There were a number of other people there and they were accusing me of fraud. Apparently, I had quoted to design a website for their printing company, taken a pre-payment, and then not built the website. I was defending myself, explaining that I only quoted for the job. I had not been asked to build the website and I had never received any money in advance. The accountants were telling me that a payment of £500 had been made. I vaguely remembered a design meeting with a businessman called John. When I mentioned his name, everyone said “Oh, John!” John, I was told, had left their company after embezzling funds. I was exonerated and everyone apologised to me. I left the office and walked through another building onto Holly Road. On the way, I made a telephone call to my boss at Gamston Airport explaining why I was missing from work (again!) Then headed to my dad and mum’s house on Grove Lane.

As I walked up Holly Road it began snowing. I found myself driving a blue Vauxhall Cavalier. Suddenly I lost control due to the snow on the road and crashed into the back of a parked car, also a Vauxhall Cavalier. The car belonged to an old website customer of mine called Jim. Jim wasn’t at home but his wife was and she came out to see what had happened. She found me fitting a new rear bumper and lights to Jim’s car. She wasn’t upset with me but just then Jim came home. He was angry at first but when I showed him I had repaired his car he was fine.  

I drove to my dad and mum’s house on Grove Lane. I was expecting to see lots of old cars on their drive—as I had in a previous dream—but most of them were gone. There was just an old Vauxhall Cavalier which I thought I could use for spare parts and a white Ford Escort Mk II. My dad had converted the Escort into a van. He had built a metal frame on the back and covered it with plywood. The cab was too small for anyone but my dad to get in.

I went into the house and saw my mum cooking dinner in the kitchen. I told her I didn’t want to be a Jehovah’s Witness anymore. I sensed that my mum was disappointed in me and I had a feeling I would have to move out of their house. I went up to my bedroom. I was starving but I knew I wouldn’t get any food that night because of wanting to leave my parent’s religion.

I went out to my dad’s garden workshop. My oldest son and daughter were in there playing on computers. They told me they had designed a computer game. I said, “It’s crap” and they replied, “It is, but we make money from it!”